Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit

The sweet earth opened out its wide four corners to her like the petals of a flower ready to be picked and it shimmered with light and possibility till she was dizzy with it.

The movie version of Tuck Everlasting was one of those stories I should have known originated in a book somewhere, but never really considered until a friend of mine was telling me I ought to read it. Naturally, when I saw it on the shelf at my local Half Price Books, I had to purchase it. And it was a worth purchase.

Tuck Everlasting is a children's fiction book following the story of a ten-year-old girl named Winnifred Foster. Winnie feels trapped in her home and yearns to venture into the forest at it's edge. It's when she finally does that she stumbles upon the Tuck family -- a family that guards a dangerous secret.

This secret is the secret to everlasting life, but as Angus Tuck explains to her, everlasting life isn't really life at all. The Tucks kidnap her to explain this and convince her that the secret is worth keeping. But things grow even more complicated when a man who has been searching for the Tucks and the water that bears this everlasting life since he first heard the stories of their existence as a child and he's not going to let anything get in his way.

A wonderful, easy read for all ages. This is one I'll definitely be suggesting for my sister to read to her girls (ages 4 and 2) and anyone else who would enjoy it. The plot is well-written and the descriptions within prove to be breathtaking on more than one instance. This story was quite worth the $3 I dished out for it.

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥

"But dying's part of the wheel right there next to being born. You can't pick out the pieces you like and leave the rest. Being part of the whole thing, that's the blessing. But it's passing us by, us Tucks. Living's heavy work, but off to one side, the way we are, it's useless too. It don't make sense. If I knowed how to climb back on the wheel, I'd do it in a minute. You can't have living without dying. So you can't call it living, what we got."

No comments:

Post a Comment