Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Little Red Riding Hood and Other Classic French Tales by Jack Zipes

"But, Mother," Lirette pursued, "why does this beautiful flower that pleases me so much have so many thorns?"
"To show you that we must distrust the greater part of those things that please our eyes, and that most pleasant objects hide snares that may be most deadly to us."

I picked up this lovely little book at Half Price Books a few weeks ago when I spotted it in the fairytale section. I'm a huge sucker for fairytales and even more so for books with covers as lovely as this one. I set it on my "to be read" shelf and waited a bit, since some others took priority, but figured it was necessary that I read it while I'm in Paris visiting my family, seeing as it's a collection of French fairytales.

Packed with lovely little stories filled with fairies, magic, forbidden loves, and little lessons to be gleaned from each tale, I was quite happy with this book upon finishing it. It not only told different versions of classic fairytales I had heard as a child, but bore plenty more that I thoroughly enjoyed as well.

Overall, this book was a lovely read and I'm glad to have acquired it. I know I'll be reading it to my children one day, filling their heads with visions of magical creatures and exciting adventures in the same way they filled my mind upon reading this.

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Alas for those girls who've refused the truth:
The sweetest tongue has the sharpest tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment