Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

"Here's the deal," I say low and harsh as I grab his shirt and twist it up close to his throat. "You stop bringing up Maggie or jail or the accident. Got it? If you want to keep running your mouth off, that's fine, but next time you do it you'll find my fist in it. Guarunteed." 
"I was just kidding," Drew chokes out, a faint thread of hysteria in his voice. "Jeez, Caleb, lighten up."
I let go of his shirt, but give him one last warning. "Up until two weeks ago I was living with a bunch of gang members. Don't tell me to lighten up."

It's pretty rare that I find myself in between books for more than a few minutes. Usually the moment I finish one book, I write my review and grab the next one. However, work has decided to wedge itself so deeply into my life that my free time comes in weird spurts now, thus the reason I found myself at library yesterday whilst still in-between books.

I was wandering through the YA Lit section when I found this little beauty on one of those stands where it's the only one in the row facing outward. Being a bit of a tattoo fangirl, I immediately focused in on guy's tattoo and picked up the book. After reading the back, I was interested and decided to take it home with me, starting it as soon as I got in the house.

One year ago, a single action changed Maggie and Caleb's lives forever. That action caused Maggie to spend a good portion of the next twelve months in the hospital and battling through physical therapy. It sent Caleb to jail. Now he's out and coming back to the small town of Paradise. Not only that, but he's coming back to being Maggie's next door neighbor again.

Neither have been back to their school since the incident, but now senior year is starting and both must face the stares, the questions, the overall gawking of their fellow students. At the same time, they try to give each other a wide berth, but fate throws them together when Caleb's community service and her job force them unexpectedly together. It isn't long before the two find themselves unable to resist the other. They soon begin to grow closer to one another, even as the people around them try to force them apart. Can a real relationship be formed from the shattered pieces of their lives? And can either of them ever fully trust the other?

This book was surprisingly good. I was a little worried it would end up being awkward or forced, but everything came together seamlessly and left me wanting more. I was surprised and happy, though admittedly skeptical, when I realized there was a sequel. Definitely going to get my hands on that one in the near future.

There were quite a few scenes I went back and read after I finished the book because of how much I enjoyed them. Not to mention, I couldn't help admiring the way Elkeles found a plausible way to thrust the two protagonists together without making it entirely unrealistic.

All in all, I would suggest this book for a good, easy read. It's not anything award-winning, but it's a fun read that will keep the reader happily entertained for a few hours. More of a vacation read, but one I really enjoyed.

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ 

"I wasn't going to kiss you." 
"You weren't?" I look up at him. Well of course he wasn't, stupid. Why would he hook up with me when he can be with someone who actually knew what they were doing, someone who isn't responsible for sending him to jail, my brain tells me.
"Nope. The next time I kiss you, I'm gonna take my time, and you said your mom's coming home any minute."
I check the clock on my nightstand and nod.
He bites his bottom lip, deep in thought. "No, the next time I kiss you it'll last a long, long time. And when we're done you're gonna realize being turned on is not about experience."
While I'm still awestruck, Caleb heads out of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment