Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Then, to Dink's surprise, Ender began to cry. Lying on his back, still soaking wet with sweat and water, he gasped his sobs, tears seeping out of his closed eyelids and disappearing in the water on his face.
"Are you alright?"
"I didn't want to hurt him!" Ender cried. "Why didn't he just leave me alone?"

I have heard the title, Ender's Game, tossed around for a couple of years now, but it didn't really show up on my radar until I read How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy, which was also written by Orson Scott Card. I immediately put it on my list of books to be read. It wasn't long before I was hearing even more accolades thrown in its direction and I purchased it as soon as I got the chance.

I am so glad I did. And let me just go ahead and inform you: it deserved every award and every note of praise it received.

Ender's Game is the story of Ender Wiggin, third child in a futuristic society in which two children are the usual and third children are only permitted by the state when necessity begs it. And necessity did beg for Ender Wiggin, because he just might be the only hope Earth has against the buggers--an alien enemy that were only just beaten in the two skirmishes humanity in which humanity has encountered them.

At six years old, Ender is a born and bred genius. Much like his older siblings Peter, his arch nemesis, and Valentine, the person whom he adores more than anyone else in the world, he is carefully monitored by the International Fleet and is taken to Battle School on a ship in space in order to train for his future fighting buggers. As he quickly rises in the ranks much faster than most of the other kids, Ender's limits are tested along with his ability to toe the line between being a good person and becoming a monster.

As you have likely already deduced, I absolutely adored this book. Already a fan of science fiction and and any story that has at least one good fight (trust me, this book has plenty of those), I fell in love with little Ender and his story immediately. Everything about it was beautifully crafted and well-written. I wasn't let down or disappointed in any way when I reached the end. This was an all-around spectacular book.

Once again, I've accidentally started reading a series because I assumed this was a stand alone story, but I have no regrets. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to recommending it to anyone who is looking for a wholly wonderful read.

Rating: ~ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ~

There was no doubt now in Ender's mind. There was no help for him. Whatever he faced, now and forever, no one would save him from it. Peter might be scum, but Peter had been right, always right; the power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you.

No comments:

Post a Comment