Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Stop What You're Doing and Read This!

"And imaginary though it was -- a world invented by poets and novelists -- it was as real to her as the world from which she was escaping. In fact, the books were less a wall than a ladder. By reading them, and learning from them, and then flourishing academically at school, she climbed up and away to freedom." -Blake Morrison

Stop What You're Doing and Read This! is an wonderfully composed collection of essays on the importance of reading. Ten intriguing literary minds each hash out what exactly is so great about reading, why we as humans need stories, why literature is such a great foundation to healthy society.

Crafting their ideas with a literary expertise I found both intellectually stimulating and visually stunning, each of these writers gives explicit reasoning one can't easily dismiss on why reading is such a great opportunity and why, in a world rife with technology, it's sometimes better to just sit down and read a book.

As an avid reader and aspiring author, I found each new essay truly inspiring. Never have I been so excited not only to read, but to write as well. I've known for years that reading was important. It's always been a huge part of my life and the way I live it, but even so, I know I couldn't have explained why as beautifully and exquisitely as each of these essays did.

I would recommend it to anyone who values reading or wants to realize its full value.

Rating:  ♥ ♥


"Reading is primarily a symptom. Of a healthy imagination, of our interest in this and other worlds, of our ability to be still and quiet, of our ability to dream during daylight." -Mark Haddon

No comments:

Post a Comment